Friday, June 8, 2012

A New Year in London :)

2012! The year is subject to so many doomsday controversies. I am one among those who believe that mother Earth will still forgive us for the way we have been exploiting her. We have always treated her as though we had a spare, haven't we?


Perhaps I strongly believe that if it took millions of years for the Earth to be what it is now, it can't collapse just like that. May be the doomsday countdown(millions of years to count) has just began!

It snowed a little in January, and it was getting colder. My kid attended a play school, which kept her busy and happy. I had plenty of time, most of which I spent chatting with my mother, just about anything under the Sun.

In January, Pongal is a festival celebrated widely by farmers to thank the Sun God at the the time of harvesting. My grandfather was a responsible farmer and cared for the soil as much as he cared for the plants. He was an active member of the farmer's association and his contributions are remarkable! He was one of the very few farmers who used natural soil fertilizers. It is called as 'panchakavyam' in Tamil which he prepared at home. The revenue was low and the yield was not worth the investment. Yet he never compromised! Now you know why I was talking about exploiting our Earth.

Apart from the commonly known careless human activities, improper farming methods also has it's contribution in increasing the soil's infertility. whenever I met my grandpa, he shared his ideologies and facts of farming. A few times I found the topic annoying, as I thought there are better things in life to think upon. He raised cattle with love, needless to say, he never gained much out of it. He was always brisk and ready. Wondering what this old man story is about?
Pongal was traditionally celebrated at my grandpa's village. Last year he passed away. I thought to myself :

'Yes today I had pongal, went to temple, was happy at home watching all the TV shows and movies. But I truly miss the years, when THATHA would kick me outta the easy-chair and switch off the tv (and i would grin) and fan... feed me with tender-coconut and sugarcane(skin peeled and cut into pieces so that i dont get hurt while chewing) and keep pulling my legs so that he can enjoy seeing me fight him back. I miss you THATHA, I wish you were with us driving us crazy with your nik-naks. I am sure you are the best THATHA ever in this universe and we all love you!'


No comments:

Post a Comment